Re: [OM] Everyone's Film of Choice

Subject: Re: [OM] Everyone's Film of Choice
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:21:09 -0700
In a message dated 5/8/2001 "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

(Re: Fuji Profia F *400* as posted before...)

<< It's also the most grainless slide film ever made. >>

To which Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> replies:

<< NO it's nooooooooooot! >>

To which John replies:

<< Are you going to tell us what the most grainless slide film is,
Gary?
Provia F is less grainy than even Kodachrome 25. >>

I'm not sure if any other color slide films are less grainy than Provia
F *100* or not. But, when it was released last year it was touted as the
finest grain transparency film ever produced by Fuji's marketeers, for
what that is worth.

However, there are now two versions of Provia F (100 and 400 varieties)
and in the original post I noticed it was 400 mentioned, not 100. I hear
tell from several racing photographers that Provia F 400 is wonderful to
have along as a "just in case" film because at ISO 400 is slightly finer
grain and is slightly less contrasty than the 100 (100 pushed two stops
I mean), and it too can be pushed yet again another stop or two if need
be.

I dunno what has the finest grain but I do know that I swear by Provia F
and see an aweful lot of it used by others at the track.

Seems that many former Velvia users have switched because I recall
seeing a lot more Velvia being used prior to the release of Provia F
last year. The best part is it is reasonably inexpensive. I buy it
locally for $31.76 per 5-roll (35mm/36exp) "pro-pack" which is so close
to mail order prices that I don't even bother. Provia F 400 OTOH, is not
cheap.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com