Re: [OM][OT] Forwarded- Ebay & Paypal.com- The Good and the Bad

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Forwarded- Ebay & Paypal.com- The Good and the Bad
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:59:17 -0700
steve writes:

Found this on a message board at work this morning, and figured that since it
was one of the favorite off topic topics, I'd pass it along:

 From:   Moore,Jack
 Posted At:      Friday, May 04, 2001 4:23 PM
 Posted To:      Discussion & Response
 Subject:        Ebay & Paypal.com- The Good and the Bad

<SNIP>

This story REALLY makes me sit up and take notice. As many of you know, i've
been a police officer for 27 years. I spent several years as a detective, and
investigated many credit card scams and even arrested a fair share of
thieves. Never, ever, ever has ANY credit card company expresses the tiniest
of interest when i would call them and tell them what i was doing, even when
I had the guilty persons under arrest in my office, and thousands of $$ of
goods recovered. Some of the goods I was able to trace back to the store and
return them, but many more items still sit years later in our evidence vault.
They would always decline to get involved in any investigation or
prosecution. They just write the losses off. This is a big reason why we pay
18- 21  0nterest rates on these cards. For them to actually get involved in
the aforementioned PayPal case, to me, it means there is a HUGE problem with
PayPal. Makes me re-think if I want to continue with Paypal at this time.

Regards,
George S.

A few years ago I had a credit card that was stolen and I knew who the person was that took it. Same story. No interest at all from Visa. They would not even take the information I had for them. I suppose they are able to write off losses too, which you and I end up paying for indirectly with our taxes.

I do know from my own experience that there is a lot of fraud of the Social Security system because the local DA will not prosecute cases involving less than specified amounts because of "limited resources" and cost of prosecution. Several years ago that limit was thirty thousand dollars in LA County.

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California