RE: [OM] OM: 2-4 screen trial run

Subject: RE: [OM] OM: 2-4 screen trial run
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:32:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Chip Stratton wrote:

> I  don't think it is possible to focus on 'clear' screens. You have to have
> some kind of matte for the image to be projected upon, or aids like the
> microprism or split image.
>
> The screens for the OM that are 'clear' are special purpose, and you don't
> focus using the clear part of them.

That depends on which "clear" screen you're thinking of.  The 1-9 (endoscopic)
screen is the only one that you don't focus with.  The 1-5, 1-6, and 1-7
all have a focusing aid in the centre so you can easily focus with those
screens.  The 1-12 (cross hairs) screen has no focusing aids and is clear.
You can focus using this screen, but you have make sure that the plane you
focus on is the same plane that the camera will focus on.  The cross-hairs
are placed on the plane at which the camera will focus, and you have to
ensure that both the image and the cross-hairs are on the same plane.  It's
actually very easy to do once you get used to it.  This is also the usual
way of focusing the photomicrographic bodies such as the PM-PBA.
                                        -mark