Re: [OM] motor drive pin assignment?...long

Subject: Re: [OM] motor drive pin assignment?...long
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:11:00 EDT
Hey Rudy!!!!  Congrats on the macro equipment purchase!  LOL!!  I can tell
you are a true Zuikoholic.  First you wanted just bits and pieces, next you
wanted it all, then you bought it all with the itention of selling some of
it, now you are doing everything you can to keep it all!  I've done the same
myself many times.  I buy a kit thinking I will sell such and such lens and
body.  Next thing you know, I have found a way to keep it for myself!

Anyway, here are some answers to your questions:
<<pins for the Shoe 4>>
One pin is for the TTL flash and the other is for the flash ready light in
the viewfinder of a 2n or 1n.  The screw is the 3rd pin that triggers the
flash.  The best way to figure out which pin is missing is to stick it on
your camera body, attach a flash, turn it on, wait for it to charge, and look
through the viewfinder.  If you see a light, then you are missing the TTL
pin.  If there is not light, then you are missing the viewfinder flash-ready
pin.  Also, if the light in the viewfinder illuminates and you take a
picture, then you should get a full dump with the flash (set the aperture on
the lens at it's widest setting and aim it at a light colored wall...make
sure the aperture speed it set lower than 1/60sec too).  If the TTL flash pin
is missing, then you will have to use the flash in manual mode, I think.  If
the other pin is missing, then it should work fine.

<<I need some informations about the pin assignment of the
motordrive (I mean the power suply pins). What voltage input
needs the MD at which pins ? (maybe John H. please)
There seems to be 6? pins. I guess some of them are for
single/sequence step information ?>>
I'm afraid I can't help you here.  Here is what I do know:
If you look at a Control Pack the pinout for charging is:
   +  -  X
   X  X  X
I plugged up my multimeter and figured out that the + is always the same.
Other pins supply the -.  If for example, I push the shutter release button
on the Control Pack and test the power with a multimeter power flows from the
following pins:
  +  X  -
   -  X  -
If I don't press the shutter release button, then power flows from the
following pins:
  +  X  -
   -  -  X
The voltage drops quickly in the upper right pin too.
Also, you will have to mirror those pin out when looking at the MD1.  For
example,
   +  X  -
    -  -  X
becomes
   -  X  +
   X  -  -

The other things I want to say about the MD1 is that I recently learned that
there is a rubber O-ring in the MD1 that rots over time.  It caused the motor
one of my MD1s to just keep running.  It didn't keep taking pictures, the
motor would just spin after I took a photo.  Replacing the ring fixed the
problem.

<<Have you ever tried to mount a winder with camera to a bellow ?>>
Depending on your level of magnification, I'm not sure I would try this.  It
would probably cause some pretty serious shaking...just a guess though.  Of
course, seems like I have seen photos with a Motor Drive, 250 Film Back
mounted on a bellows with a slide copier.  To answer your question: both the
MD1 and MD2 will fit on the bellows if you attach the Control Pack or Control
Grip with a Relay Cord.
I'm sure some others can answer the usefullness of a motor drive on a bellows
better than I can.

<<Am I right that the power pins of the MD are not at the place where
the rail will go its way so that I should be able to use a relay cord
to give the MD some power than ?>>
Yes, you are right.  The pins definitely hangd over the edge of the rail.

HTH,
--p.j.