Re: [OM] two OM questions

Subject: Re: [OM] two OM questions
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:55:26 +0200
On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 08:21:56AM -0400, Skip Williams wrote:

> 2) Many shutters trail at the upper speeds.  Those are the first speeds to
> get out of whack due to the low tolerance for adjustments, narrow slit
> width, and high tension.  But your comment is most likely individual sample
> variation.  The horizontally travelling shutter of the OM-4Ti is right at
> its upper design limit at 1/2000.  All the 1/4000-1/12000 shutters are
> vertically travelling metal shutters.  It was a shame that Olympus never
> moved to that higher speed design.  It would have given us a 1/125 or 1/250
> synch speed. Maybe John H could shed some light on this high-speed trailing?

High Skip,
feels good to read a new message from you. Im glad that you haven`t parted with
the list.
I agree that the 1/2000th of the OM 4 is the upper limit for the used shutter
techology.
I´ve read test results of OM 4`s which were about 1/1400 ~ 1/1500.

It is not well known that Olympus did a try with a higher speed design with the
OM 707.
It has a vertical metal shutter, which even uses OTF-technology. But it was a)
not a
comercial sucess, and b) 1/100 over a 1/60th flash speed is better but not a
real gain.
It is interesting that the F280 in Super FP mode has a slightly better guide
number.
(3.2 over 2.7 at 1/2000s (metric GN))

Frieder Faig