Re: [OM] two OM questions

Subject: Re: [OM] two OM questions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 17:43:39 +0000
At 12:54 4/2/01, Pete wrote:
Hi from a sunny (at last) London. Two questions:

1) A friend has asked me to take some b&w shots of her 6 month old baby - I havn't done b&w of people for a long time; what filter is best for baby skin tones?
(I'll be sticking to my fav, ilford FP4+, film)

I'd be tempted to use no filters. Might shoot some with and without . . . the _only_ filter being a Yellow #6 or #8 (a.k.a. K1 or K2) for very modest contrast increase and slight shift in tone rendition away from the blue end. Haven't used the Ilford you mention, but have used a #6 (K1) for portraits with good results.

2) Was chatting to a wonderbrick owner whose toy has a max shutter of 1/8000. It triggered a memory of a review in a UK photo mag (practical photography, early 93 I think) of the OM4Ti. The review stated that the shutter just couldn't make 1/2000, in reality it was 1/1100 ish. Can anyone confirm this?

I've never experienced any over-exposure issues shooting transparency films using the 1/2000th shutter speed on my OM-4. If it were 2/3 stop slow (1/1250th) I would certainly expect to see it in the Kodachromes.

Someone else mentioned a vertical FP shutter and the much faster shutter speeds to be had with them. A vertical shutter is how Zeiss Ikon was able to get the Contax shutter up to 1/1250th during the 1930's, a blistering fast shutter speed and an engineering achievement in its day.

-- John