Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: "Clint Spesert" <clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:33:11 -0800
I believe the book you are speaking of is "The Story of English" by Robt.
McCrum, Wm. Cran & Robt. Mac Neil.

As the book states, "The English language arrived in Britain on the point of
a sword."  The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes sailed the North sea from Denmark
and Saxony to Britain in the year 449 AD, and pretty much wiped out the
Celts. The conquest so complete, that "Old English" (the language attributed
to the Anglo-Saxons) contains barely a dozen Celtic words.

The book is a truly fascinating work.

American English is truly a language of its own.  Everyone who speaks
English can understand the American pronunciation due to the influence of
the global US presence in the broadcast media.

Just my .02 worth,
Clint Spesert