Re: [OM] Cricket Match

Subject: Re: [OM] Cricket Match
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:20:56 +0100
Sorry Chris (B), I overlooked

> I don't attend many cricket matches, but surely you uould be able to
> catch the bouler as he leaps to deliver the ball?

I must have been distracted by the strange edit. Have you been talking
to our Monsieur Rossi? And shouldn't it be "bouliste" or at the very
least "bouleur" :))

Anyway - yes, you can. And it's fairly easy to anticipate and press
the button. But for some strange reason it rarely looks natural. The
best times for the shot are as the bowler is at the peak of his
wind-up, or a little while after release. Immediately after release
looks very odd, as the bowler's arm comes downwards much faster than
the ball does, and the usual reaction to a shot like that is to think
"how and why did he throw it up there?"

Translation for baseball spectators: "bowler" is the equivalent of
"pitcher". Which you've probably worked out. The bowling action is
"overarm". There's probably a complex definition of this, but
basically the bowling arm has to be straight and swung vertically over
the shoulder. Imparting spin is legitimate (and a highly prized
skill), but it all has to come from the wrist and fingers, not the
arm.

John