Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:43:09 +0100
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:34:42PM +0000, John A. Lind wrote:
> Garth,
> Technical issues aside, I'm thinking bottom line $$$ which is what really
> runs a company.  Why would a company come out with a digital body that can
> take lenses the same company made years ago and are now on the used market
> . . . when it can make a whole new line of lenses and _sell_ them to the
> new digital owner?

Well, John, this is one position. But you can also find argue very  rational
for the
other position too. Imagine there were two manufactuer of digital system lenses
and bodies.
( coparable in price and function). One manufacturer wan`t to sell new lenses
too
and designed a total new system. But with the camera of the other system you
can also use lenses made years ago.

Which one would you prefer? The camera wich forces you to spend a lot of monney
for new equipent, or the camera where you can still use your equipment?
A lot of people might not have enough monney for a total new system and
the sucess of the first manufacturer might be very poor.

Well, I`ve no idea which way the Olympus managment wan`t to go. Well there are
good
reasons for both decissions.
Another aspec:. Yesterday I was talking to a friend saying that the OM-System
is still
importend in the technical-scientific photography, which (IMHO) is the reason
it is still
'produced'. A lot of science institutes still have OM equipment and need
replacement and
additional equipment for their existing stuff.
B.t.w: I think the actual OM-pricing is related more to this maked than to
consumer photogaphy.

 But then he replied: Yes but this people are now moving toward digital very
fast.
 - I think he is right, and I guess OM has to react to keep his reputation.

Now I´m very curious what we will see from Olympus.

Frieder Faig