Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:25:49 -0400

Garth Wood wrote:

> In the recent past, there was a discussion (accompanied by a fair amount of
> bitterness towards Olympus) about Oly's refusal to bring out a digital camera
> body that accepts OM System Zuiko lenses.  Oly's official explanation for
> this was that lenses designed for 35mm film didn't work optimally for digital
> systems.  In particular, their concern (explained in a .PDF which could be
> retrieved from them) was that the light rays emerging from the rear of the
> lens were not all perpendicular to the film plane, which was supposedly a
> problem for CCD sensors.

Having missed the original discusion, I wonder if there's any possible
fix for this. Maybe a curved sensor or something. Or, if it's a problem
with CMOS sensors too (probably). Idealy, I'd like to see a digital back
for the OM cameras. If it were feasible (given the optical issues), it
woudl be a great way to bring back the OM system.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx