Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:41:15 -0700
At 10:34 PM 3/22/01 +0000, John Lind wrote:
Garth,
Technical issues aside, I'm thinking bottom line $$$ which is what really runs a company. Why would a company come out with a digital body that can take lenses the same company made years ago and are now on the used market . . . when it can make a whole new line of lenses and _sell_ them to the new digital owner? Especially if the company views its potential digital market population as much larger than the percentage of the OM owning population that might be interested in digital bodies pre-existing OM Zuiko's (I'm not one of them, so it's something less than 100%).

Larger revenue equals larger profit if the product has a sound business plan behind it with a solid profit (i.e. you're not shipping a $5 bill with each one going out the door). The strategy of using pre-existing lenses under these conditions would make more sense to a third party (someone other than Olympus) that wants to make a digital body but is not making and for whatever reason does not want to start making lenses.

I'm sure I'll be accused of heresy again.

Not by me.  Perfectly sensible.

On the other hand, I'm still digesting Chris Barrett's awesome tome -- a reply on my initial riff -- and don't quite know how to respond yet. Guess I gotta chew it over for awhile...

Garth