Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line fordigital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line fordigital...
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:27:37 -0400

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> Garth,
> Technical issues aside, I'm thinking bottom line $$$ which is what really
> runs a company.  Why would a company come out with a digital body that can
> take lenses the same company made years ago and are now on the used market
> . . . when it can make a whole new line of lenses and _sell_ them to the
> new digital owner?  Especially if the company views its potential digital
> market population as much larger than the percentage of the OM owning
> population that might be interested in digital bodies pre-existing OM
> Zuiko's (I'm not one of them, so it's something less than 100%).

The main advantage I could see with keeping the OM system as the lenses
would be that these are lenses which have already covered their
development costs, so it's mainly just the cost of manufacturing these
items now. A new system means rationalizing R&D costs for those lenses.
Although I do agree with you, it probably doesn't balance out with the
"loss" of sales they'd experience because of the used market.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx