Re: [OM] Backpacking w/OM question

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking w/OM question
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:02:09 -0800 (PST)
> So, I'm going on a 4 day backpacking trip in the
> Needles district...

Enjoy the trip.  For backpacking, I have a couple
different methods.  I have a daypack that I'll put
camera equipment wrapped in cloth diapers inside the
bag.  I'd prefer a genuine "Trekker", but it is more
important to feed the family than buy another bag.
For overnighters and longer journeys, I have a
regular, large backpack in which I devote a couple
chambers for camera equipment.

Unless the weather is really hot, I like using a
fisherman's vest in which I keep my lenses and
accessories.  The camera typically stays either around
my neck or in a small fannypack.  This way I can drop
my backpack, grab the tripod (you WILL want to bring a
small, light tripod), and scramble around for the
shot.  I generally only work with one camera body and
keep the second as a spare tucked safely away in the
bowels of my backpack.

I disagree with the viewpoint of taking only a minimal
kit.  Although you can exist quite nicely with just a
50mm on that OM-1, you miss out on the opportunities
to SLOW DOWN.  Be weight conscience, but don't
compromise.  If you have the choice between a 250/2
and the 200/4, I'd choose the 200/4 but I definitely
wouldn't leave both home.  I would make sure that you
have all of the primary focal lengths covered from
24mm - 200mm.

Ken N.