Re: [OM] OT eBay comment

Subject: Re: [OM] OT eBay comment
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:03:35 -0400

> William Clark wrote:
>
> How about this one?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1218737435
>
> $95 for the Vivitar Macrofocussing teleconverter?  Gimme a break!!! I
> have 2 of these with cases and boxes.  I paid $60 Canadian for each
> (about $40 U.S.).  This person has a bid though.
>
> I really think that alot of people on Ebay are clueless about the
> value of things.  I recently had been bidding on some telescope stuff
> (3 items).  After a while, the bidding went $25, $10, and $8 above
> what you could get them for NEW (and this is before shipping!!!!).
> Why anyone would bid on something without knowing the price of the
> item new really astounds me.
>
> Anyone else with similar stories of stupidity?

I think we've all seen situations like this. As far as I can tell, I
think a lot of people get too wrapped up in the idea of "winning"
instead of the idea of getting a good price. They see something they
want (probably at a good price originally) but when they get outbidded,
they go and up their bid. Pretty soon, the bid is up higher than what
one would cost new because the person didn't know when to step away and
say, "okay, that would've been nice but the price is too high, maybe I
can find another one". What I find really funny is when you see this
kind of bidding war going on for one item when there's the exact same
thing further down the page with hardly any bids (and usually for
significantly less).

I've been thinking of getting into Olympus gear (no money at the moment,
which is what's holding me back) so I've been following some Olympus
gear just to get a sense of prices. What I find really wierd is some
people will set a higher starting price and then not get any bids. I saw
an OM-1n with a 75-150 f/4 (I believe) just sit there with no bids
because the starting bid was $200. There was a buy it now price of $300
(which I think might've been a bit high) but there was no reserve. The
auction ended without any bids. I found this funny because I've seen
plenty of auctions for an OM-1n alone go for around $200. So you'd
basically end up getting the lens for free. If I had the money, I
would've been tempted to put in the minimum bid just to get it because
with that lens, it's not a bad price (from what I've seen) for an OM-1n.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx