[OM] Re: [OT] DOS history

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] DOS history
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:10:37 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Brian said:
> Remember DOS? Made by Microsoft...But Microsoft didn't develop DOS,
> Seattle
> Software developed DOS.
> But Seattle's involvement ended in 1980 after the sale of rights to
> Microsoft.  DOS was in a pretty primitive state at the time of the
> sale.  Much more development occurred afterwards both by Microsoft and
> also by IBM with both companies having rights to the product.  Microsoft
> stopped at version 6.2, IBM carried on to version 7.0.  (Microsoft also
> had a different version 7 which was generally hidden under Windows).

Yes, Seattle Software sold its 8086 operating system to Microsoft,
but they didn't really develop it.  It was a direct port of Digital
Research's 8080 CP/M 2.2.  If you ever did a disassembly of CP/M 2.2
and SS's 8086 OS, many (if not most) of the modules were identical.
For some reason DR didn't pursue the plagiarism in the courts ...
probably for the same reason he didn't actively compete with Bill
Gates for the IBM sale ... he had utter confidence that CP/M 86
would be the winner in the switch from 8 to 16 bit system software.

My disassembies of CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86, and SS's 8086 OS have long
dissappeared from my files ... but I did have the 8" disks in my
garage until a couple of years ago.

Regards,
  -Nick T.