[OM] lens hoods and the 28/2

Subject: [OM] lens hoods and the 28/2
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:57:43 -0000
Hi,

As I have been unable to find a 28/2 rubber lens hood, (but I do have a metal) I have started trying a 28/2.8 lens hood... I find the rubber hoods to be a smaller chance of damage to the lens through a knock...... Anyway, is there any reason why the 28/2.8 hood won't be fine? It isn't designed for the lens, but I've tested it, and...

Just like you I too have a metal 28/2 hood and a rubber 28/2.8 hood. I was also wondering whether they'd be the same, but they're not. When you compare them, you will find the 28/2 one to be wider than the 28/2.8 one. In fact, the 28/2 hood is even wider than the metal 24/2.8 hood. I figure this must have something to do with lens design rather than with focal lenght only.

Either way: I would expect that your worst case scenario in using the 28/2.8 hood would be that you'd experience some vignetting...

Cheers!
Olafo