Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:06:16 -0800
In a message dated 3/3/2001 Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< So quit the "OM is dead" B.S. and take some more photos (thereby
keeping it
alive). >>

I just did that for two days last Thursday and Friday. (Audi) Quattro
Club USA Driver's school. 21 rolls of Provia F. Rainy conditions with
less than optimal light one day. After the first round of editing (a
wheat from chaffe thing...in other words if they are sharp they go in
one pile, not sharp in another) there are almost 500 "keepers" (that
will number will shrink more no doubt). I was shocked at how few I
missed on focus, exposure, etc. Perhaps the best keep/toss ratio I have
accomplished and I seriously doubt it would have been any better with an
AF wunderbrick. Admittedly, these cars are not as fast as professional
race cars, but there quite a few with better than 350-400hp on course
running as hard as could be. This was with either a Winder 1 or hand
winding too, no sequences. (I admit, I am starting to lust after a MD2
but that's the zuikoholic in me...)

In racing photography most do use Can*n or Nik*n but, as I have
mentioned before, that is no small part due to the professional programs
offered for service. I do see others being used though. A few others
with OMs, some Pent*x die-hards, and a small number of Min*lta users as
well (all media credential area shooters...not just fans). Many are also
jumping on the D1/D30 digital body bandwagon...but still must shoot film
for anything resembling wide angle work. I am far from making a living
at racing photography, perhaps never will, but I sure don't see any
compelling reason to switch systems unless Nik*n or Can*n want to start
ging me free gear ;-)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com