Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 00:01:57 -0500
I have been reading this discussion with much interest. It seems to me that if I were starting out right now I would want to learn two systems, both a film based and a digital system. For the present at least, I would want to learn how to digitally manipulate photos and still shoot with slide film, but we all see how that is changing, almost daily.

For many years I dreamed of finally being able to purchase a color enlarger, then just recently I was given a Saunders D6700 Dicroic enlarger that sits gathering dust at my dad's house because it is easier (I see what I get immediately) and cheaper (no charge for manipulations that don't work, I just delete and start over) for me to work on the prints with a computer program.

In addition to the reasons you have given, one could possibly add the areas of journalism and news where the digital cameras would be the way to go. With that I would suggest an E10 system.

Gregg

Tom wrote back:
I didn't take it as a flame at all.  Just good natured discussions.....

I completely agree that the OM family could clearly be the basis of a very
successful professional career. It is an amazingly complete system.  It's
been a pro camera for years and years.

Realistically, it will live on for many years -- well beyond my professional
life.

One concern/challenge would be that many pro photographers rent lenses when
they need a special lens.  They best even get free equipment.  Don't know of
a way to do either with OM equipment.

Mostly I'm just playing devil's advocate to make sure that Eric thinks
everything through. Hey, if I quit my job today to go pro (and quickly
starve to death), I'd use OM all the way!

Tom

heck, I might even bid on the 250/2.