Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:42:07 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, John Hermanson wrote:

> Last time I special ordered parts from Japan through Olympus, it took A
> YEAR, and then because they didn't have one, final,  key part (for a 180 f2)
> the repair couldn't be completed. I returned everything and made a refund to
> the  customer.

The moral of the story, as I've learned the hard way, never ever buy a
piece of broken Olympus equipment unless you know for certain that the
broken or missing parts are available.  Bodies aren't so bad since there
are a lot of them around to cannibalise, lenses are another matter.  Don't
let sellers convince you that an expensive lens only needs a "simple" thing
to be fixed.  If it's so simple, then why aren't they fixing it?

FYI, I just checked on prices for the front and real elements of a 35-80/2.8.
The good news is they're still available, the bad news is the front element
is $320US and rear element is $140US!  Those of you who own this lens may
want to be extra careful when using it :-)
                                        -mark