Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Parts Supply
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:06:08 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, John Prosper wrote:

> >From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >It's 7 years, but there is a catch.  It doesn't cover accessories!
>
> Aren't glass elements in a lens considered part of the lens proper, part of
> the main unit, rather than a mere accessory?  It seems to me that
> accessories are optional extras, not integral parts of the main product.

You haven't dealt with the Olympus parts department have you? :-)  All this
7 year parts supply is great in theory, but in reality it doesn't work that
way, at least not for Olympus.  In my latest attempt at getting parts, I
tried getting a part for the 35/shift, which last time I checked is still
being sold by Olympus.  Despite that fact, their on-line inventory system
claims the parts are discontinued.  The parts department manager has been
trying to get parts for me directly from Japan for 3 months.  Still no luck.
I thik we've got a lot less than 7 years to go before no new replacement
parts are available.
                                -mark