Re: [OM] Resetting an OMPC

Subject: Re: [OM] Resetting an OMPC
From: rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruediger Betzold)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 04:33:13 +0100 (MET)
Chris,

> I recently bought an OM-PC at a decent price, and it arrived today.  The
> shutter is closed and I can't turn the film advance, so in that respect it's
> like it's ready to go.  However, the mirror is all the way in the up
> position.  It didn't have batteries in it when it arrived, so I installed two
> new SR44 batteries in it.  Nothing happened...  mirror is still totally up.

>From my own experience with my original OMPC (40) body it helped
to move the Manual/Auto/Program switch to battery test
position. You need good batteries (even if they are out of the box).
Try another pair of them. I cured this also in installing the batteries
with a loosen battery cap - not screwing it really in but hold it and
trying to get contact. You may notice a slight 'peeep'.
Don't really know what magic going on but it helped - seems like
as a sideeffect an internal reset of the CPU of the camera.
I would also try to move the mode switch over all positions several times
there seems to get some dust onto the contacts of the switch if
camera is used for long times on only one mode position. Moving the switch
may clear it, guess you might already checked done that ?

> Is there a way to "reset" the OM-PC?  I know on the OM-2 there's that
> little reset button on the manual speed dial.  What's the OM-PC
> equivalent?

See above.

> Hoping there's an answer to this one, and that I haven't bought a dud.

Hope this somehow curious hints will help 'cause it's a nice little camera
and the program mode give even in difficult situations where you have no time
to fiddle with apperature nice results.
(e.g. sun light from front with moving birds)

If you don't have it, you should get the manual to read the chapter
about the program mode and the ESP switch and how to play with the
'preset' apperature in this mode. You have nice control over this mode
if you want.

Rudy
  Berlin/Germany