Re: [OM] OM-1 ASA DIAL PROBLEM

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 ASA DIAL PROBLEM
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 22:22:29 -0600
It sounds like the ASA knob isn't aligned correctly with the ASA cam
underneath.
This often happens when the top cover has been lifted and reinstalled
with the tab
of the ASA cam on top of the meter and the ASA knob on the top cover not
in proper
alignment.  If you're willing/able to remove the top cover, it's easily
corrected.

With the top cover off, set the ASA knob to the lowest ASA setting.
Then look at
the cam on top of the meter -- turn it until the follower is at it's
lowest point.
Now replace the top cover.  Before replacing all the parts though, hold
the ASA
release button down and move the ASA knob slightly back and forth a few
times --
if the ASA cam's tab didn't drop into the notch in the ASA knob when the
top was
put on, this should allow it to do so.  Now, rotate the ASA knob slowly
all the way
around.  When you get back to the lowest setting, turn it backwards
(counterclock-
wise) from "25" to "1600" -- you should feel a noticeable increase in
the resistance
there as the follower goes rapidly from the lowest point of the cam to
the highest.
If not, try again.

This will mean that your readings will change.  If the meter's
inaccurate, be sure
that you're using a 1.35 volt mercury battery, NOT a 1.5 volt alkaline
substitute
(625U or 625A) -- that is, unless the camera has been modified to accept
the higher
voltage batteries.  If the camera hasn't been modified, and you don't
have a
mercury battery, there are several alternative solutions -- zinc-air
batteries, etc.