[OM] German eBay success stories

Subject: [OM] German eBay success stories
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:07:37 -0500
My two latest OM binges were for items that I really, really needed (OK,
wanted). Knowing that the better the deal, the more reserve cash I would
have for my habit (er, I mean hobby). The objects of my desire were a mint
black 4T(i) and a mint 40/2. I waited and watched, wheeled, dealed and
begged. Finally, I found what I was looking for. A 40/2 on German eBay. It
was in German with a brief / vague description and no pictures. I had to use
an online translator as the seller spoke no English. Another German auction
was for a new OM-4Ti that was used briefly as a microscope camera. Again,
back to the translator and deciphering the many e-mails back and forth. Then
off to the bank for the wire transfers to strangers in another country. And
then the waiting. I must admit, there's nothing like that Tom Scales feeling
of finding boxes waiting for you when you get home, knowing that they are
filled with that precious OM booty.

The bottom line - both items arrived and are indeed as described. The 4Ti
looks like it has seen only 1 roll of film and is still on it's first set of
batteries. My final costs $425 for the mint 40/2 and $570 for the brand new
OM-4Ti. My hat's off to the German folks on eBay. Keep those Spartan entries
comin' (there were no other bidders except me on these items)!

Although the 40/2 was a OK price I think the new OM-4Ti borders on Doris
territory, no?

Happy and contented (for now),

Mike V.

Michael Virsinger