Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:10:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Peter A. Klein wrote:

> My wife and I plan to vacation in Italy this spring.  We'll visit Rome,
<snip>
> I've got the following to choose from:
> -Leica M4-P (black), 35/2 and 50/2 Summicrons, 50/1.4 Nikkor, 85/1.9
> Canon (HEAVY!), 90/4 Elmar.
> -Olympus OM-2 (chrome), 28/2.8 MC, 35/2.8 SC, 50/1.8 MC, 50/1.4 SC,
> 100/2.8 SC (all Zuikos)
> -Gossen Luna Pro Digital meter
> -A light plastic camera C-clamp that doubles as a table tripod.
> -A small old Vivitar flash (Model 283?) with both manual and automatic
> modes (not TTL)

  If it's a 283, it's not all that small.

> My normal outfit these days is the M4-P with 35/2, 50/2 and 90/4 and a
> separate light meter.  I tend to use 35 and 50mm the most, followed by
> 90 (or 85 or 100). I rarely use the 28mm on the Olympus unless I
> *really* need it.  My Leica lenses are noticeably better than my Zuikos,
> especially at f/4 and wider, although the 50/1.8 Zuiko comes very
> close.  I focus better with a rangefinder, and usually prefer it.  But
> for travel, I can see advantages to the SLR.

  From that paragraph, I'd say take the Leica with your usual kit.
 It is what you are used to...

> I am concerned about theft.  Several travel books warn about the problem
> of theft in Italy.  I've never been there, so I have no way to judge how
> real the danger is.  I am leaning toward taking the Olympus to Italy, on
> the grounds that my Olympus stuff is less expensive and easier to
> replace than my Leica stuff.  I'd be less worried about losing or
> breaking something.  Am I being overly paranoid here?

  It does happen, but that Leica should be insured already...

> I'll be shooting color print film. I haven't decided whether to take 100
> and 400 ISO, or use all 200 as a compromise.  I usually use Kodak Gold,
> but I'm open to others.

   The Gold 200 has the same granularity rating (RMS) as the 400 Kodak
films, so you might want to make the jump to the extra speed.

> Apart from various combinations of my existing equipment, I'm also
> considering buying a midrange zoom (35-70/4 or /3.6 Zuiko or quality
> off-brand?) and taking that lens, plus either the 28/2.8 or 50/1.4
> Zuikos.

  That's not a bad idea at all. In your shoes, I'd probably pack at
least a 24 (or your 28) and 35-70, keeping in mind the idea of lightweight
travel. But if you decide to go with your OM, start using it now. I find
that in tourist-type situations, one often encounters fixed
points-of-view, and a zoom, even a 35-70, is a real asset.

  One of Lex's legendary Series I "Fat Vivs" might also work,
> although they seem too heavy to schlepp around for 2 weeks.  I've never
> used an SLR zoom, so I don't know how much I'd lose in quality vs. my
> primes.

  Most zooms (though not all, consult Gary Reese's tests on this) tend
not to come into their sweet stop until f/8-11...but this is the sort of
thing that you should experiment with extensively before going on your
trip. What kind of light do you prefer ? If it's available darkness,
take your M-4 and its lenses. That's just not the forte of zooms.
If you take the OM, take along a doublet-achromat type close-up lens,
like the Nikon T's.

                            *= Doris Fang =*