Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 08:33:38 -0700
On 21 Jan 2001, at 3:08, Michael Virsinger wrote:

> I know what you mean, Chris. At my company's Christmas party, I too
> mounted my trusty 50/1.4 to my OM-2n. I opted for the 2n over my 1n
> because I was worried that I would not be able to see the meter in the
> low light. I was right and the camera spent most of the night on auto.

Seeing the meter was kinda hard sometimes, but most of athe time my
photos are taken in Auto mode anyway, so it didn't matter to me.

> I used the same Fuji 1600 film, opened up the lens and let the camera
> do the rest.

Ain't it fun?!?!?  :-)

> Focusing was tough in the very low light, but I managed OK (later I
> learned about zone focusing - so that's what those numbers on the lens
> are for - d'oh!).

I only had to resort to "doing it by the numbers" once.  Btw, that
reminds me of 'nuther "new thingie" I tried last night...  my new-to-me
eyecup 2 and -5 dioptric correction lens.

[Quick Side Note:  Thanks, again, Larry!  Susan...  it works!!!  WOO
HOO!!!]

Anyway, I probably should've put the 1-13 or 1-14 screen back in before
heading out, but I forgot and had to manage with the 1-10 instead.
Focusing was a bit tough using only the matte, but I think I managed.

> I was very unobtrusive and got lots of candid shots. Many people didn't
> even notice me and those who did wondered how I was taking pictures
> without a flash.

Ditto.  Btw, one of the other staff members pulled out a wonderbrick...
C*n*n EOS Rebel with a *big* honkin' zoom and flash.  She tried taking
a couple of candid shots, got nothing but poses, and then gave up.
Then, she walked over to me and said, "How ARE you DOING that???"
After I briefly explained, she commented, "By the way, that sure is a
NICE looking camera you've got there, Chris!"

> As a new photographer, the most uncomfortable person that night was me.

The most camera shy person in our group is our boss.  Last time I tried
taking her pictures (at the office with an Olympus New Pic 60 APS),
she actually hid under her desk and hollered for me to go away!  Not
last night!  As soon as I pulled out the camera, she ran and joined a
conversation going on in the kitchen.  I casually meandered in there,
refreshed my drink and briefly chatted with one of the guys talking to
her, walked into the adjacent dining room and joined 'nuther
conversation, and then turned around and got off 3 shots of her.  She
didn't even notice what was happening!  (Grin!)

> The shots came out great, and now adorn our company bulletin board.

Here's hoping mine turn out great, too!  This is the third event I've tried to
capture on film, but I've never been satisfied with the results because of
the aforementioned "stiff pose" everyone takes as they brace for the
flash.  So, none of my previous photos have even gone into the office to
be shared and passed around, let alone pinned on the bulletin board.

> I even got one of my boss that I will reserve for bonus time next month
> - but that's another story...

LOL!!!  If you don't get the bonus, post them on the internet!  Of course,
tell US what the URL is!  :-)))

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  The next experiment I want to try is using 1600 ASA outdoors in
regular daylight with the ND4 filter.  Should be fun!

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill