RE: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: RE: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: "Edward Heler, Ph.D." <eheler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 05:15:35 -0500
I got started in photography in high school, in the years just after WWII.
That fairly well dates me.  As a school photographer I was introduced to the
Leica camera.  After graduation and not having much money, I acquired an
Argus C3, a very popular 35mm of its day.  Wanting something better and a
bigger format, I bought a Rolleiflex and that camera with the C3 served as
my photographic equipment.  The Rollei and C3 was stolen some years later.
I decided to return to the Leica format, but upon checking prices I realized
that this was a camera I could not afford.  Somehow or other, and I think it
was in conversation with a professional photographer in Phoenix where I
lived at that time, I learned about the OM-1.  When I got my hands on one,
it felt so much like what I remembered about the Leica that I had to have
one.  That was somewhere in the early 70s I believe.  I'm not sure now what
model OM-1 I had; it may have been a OM-1n or OM-1 MD.  Anyway, in the
course of time, I had to have that camera repaired and it was shipped by the
local camera shop to an Olympus repair station via UPS.  The camera never
made it to the repair station; somewhere along the way it disappeared.
Eventually, UPS paid for the loss and I used the money and a few bucks more
to purchase an OM-2N.  I think it was in 1980 or 1981.  I have used that
camera ever since and still use it today.  About a year ago I was the
successful bidder on eBay for an OM-4.

I have had several opportunities to get my hands on Canon and Nikon cameras
when the thought entered my mind that I should move to another brand.  My OM
cameras won out every time.  If I do move on it will be to a larger format,
but at my age I am not sure why I would want to do that.  Displeased with
the inconsistency of color negative film, I am migrating back to Kodachrome.
That depends on whether or not I am able to scan the slides and print on my
HP inkjet.  I haven't gone into the lenses, etc., but everything I have is
Zuiko glass, some of it SC and some of it MC.  Frankly I can't see the
difference.  What I have works well and I will stay with it.

So that is how and when I got into OM.

Ed Heler

Edward Heler, Ph.D.
eheler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A retired professor but active managerial econ consultant.