[OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon -- I

Subject: [OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon -- I'm a bad man)
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:45:43
Hi Tom and others,

I had sold my 100 f/2 awhile back, since I owned the 100/2.8 and the 90/2 but always regretted it a bit.

Imaginable...:)

Got it in the mail today. Wow, what a lens. I really can't tell it from new. No brassing, perfect glass (if you haven't looked through the glass on a 100/2, you're missing something. A big version of the 50/1.2, almost all glass).

I'm glad you too underwent that experience, I agree with you a 100%, looking through the 100/2 is magic (no idea about the 90/2, as I've never handled one). The lens is rather thick and a bit heavy, but boy does it look beautiful! I really love just looking at how this lens looks when mounted on my OM-4Ti: a perfect match. Yes, the 100/2 is the only lens I have that rivals my 35-80/2.8 in terms of usage, and I'm still indecisive as to which one of these two lenses is my favourite one.

Last Saturday Karol had a "swimming exam" for a diploma, so of course I took pictures. The two lenses I brought? Of course: the 35-80/2.8 and the 100/2. Before arriving I mounted the 35-80/2.8 on the camera, but I quickly switched to the 100/2 upon arriving, as the extra range and the extra stop came in most handy. I was quite a bit away (some 15-20 meters) from the lane in which Karol passed, but using the 100/2 + T32 worked a charm.

Heh, actually something rather typical happened that day: during the morning I was thinking it would be wise to bring a set of spare batteries for the 4Ti, but the only ones I had were sitting in the OM-2n, so I decided not to take them out. Sure enough after finishing off the first roll of Fuji Provia 100F (there were some 10 shots left remaining on that roll before it was finished), and putting in the new film the bl**dy camera didn't respond.... Grrrrrr, the batteries had died, and it was still very early in the diploma swimming event!!! The solution: camera on manual, shutter speed on "mechanical 1/60" (handy for the flash synchronisation too!), diafragm on f2, T32 on Manual using GN 32, and then a prayer or two hoping that I estimated the distance more or less correctly (should be about o.k.), and I was ready to roll again.

Actually, I was glad to see that the flash did fire even though the camera's batteries died. I suppose that as soon as the flash is mounted on the camera and it's turned on, that it closes a circuit via the camera, which is interrupted when the camera is fired (or vice versa: that a circuit is left open normally, and closed when the camera fires), causing the flash to get triggered, even though the camera doesn't have batteries anymore?!? Clever trick, and extremely useful in this case!!!

Cheers!
Olafo