Re: [OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon -- I'm a bad man)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:18:03 +0100
: Actually, I was glad to see that the flash did fire even though the
camera's
: batteries died. I suppose that as soon as the flash is mounted on the
camera
: and it's turned on, that it closes a circuit via the camera, which is
: interrupted when the camera is fired (or vice versa: that a circuit is
left
: open normally, and closed when the camera fires), causing the flash to get
: triggered, even though the camera doesn't have batteries anymore?!? Clever
: trick, and extremely useful in this case!!!

Actually the flash synchro on the OM-4(Ti) does need battery power, contrary
to the OM-1(n)/OM-3(Ti), but only a small amount. If you remove the
batteries there's no flash. But when the batteries 'die' inside the 4Ti
there still is a lot of power in them. Not enough to feed the hungry 4Ti's
electronics, but more than enough to feed the flash synchro and also enough
to give them a second life for quite a while in an OM-2n...

The moral of the story: if you forgot to bring the spare batteries
(whattamistaketomake!) you can get away with it if you remembered to bring
your spare OM-2n ;)

hnz