Re: [OM] [OT] Internet access to get to my beloved Zuiko mail (Was Snip

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Internet access to get to my beloved Zuiko mail (Was Sniping)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:23:06 -0700
At 04:18 PM 12/16/00 -0500, Bruce Appelbaum (replying to Mickey Trageser) wrote:
Aging copper wires?  That's a new one.  I thought the only limitation on DSL
service was distance to the central office -- 15,000 feet or less.  In any
event, Verizon is a lousy phone company.  I'm a customer and not too happy
with their service.  Their telemarketers call me every day to switch to
their long distance, but they can't keep the DSL service going for 24 hours
straight without some kind of interruption.

BTW, my DSL service is through a local ISP, but over Verizon lines.

*Ahem.*

Well, as one of the guys who originally helped build the TELUS PLAnet ISP service in Alberta, I s'pose I should respond.

It *is* possible that "aging copper wires" are causing problems, mostly due to corrosion, weird cross-talk and so forth. However, what's more likely is that, in order to maintain acceptable voice quality, the local telco had to slap some additional equipment on to the lines which, years later (and much to their chagrin) they discovered makes delivering ADSL over the same lines almost impossible.

That very thing happened in some neighbourhoods in Edmonton where "concentrator coils" were placed on the lines. Seems you *cannot* run ADSL over these same lines, 'cause the coils effectively dampen many of the high-frequency harmonics which ADSL uses to pack all that info across ordinary copper. One of my partners in Reflective Systems Group lives in such a neighbourhood, and found himself in the embarrassing situation of being a partner in a leading/bleeding-edge tech company that specializes in Internet and Intranet technologies, yet couldn't get high-speed service to his home office! (He's since been able to get cable modem service, but ADSL is out of the question for the foreseeable future.)

Interestingly enough, TELUS (in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada) merged with Verizon in the 'States a while back, and is now trying to share some of the technologies (and pricing regimes) we built here in Alberta. We'll see how it works out. ;-)

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
 A: Winter."