Re: [OM] Slide projector advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide projector advice
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:49:47 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, c.e. packard wrote:
> Here are my questions:
> Projector manufacturer?
> I'm leaning toward Kodak or Kinderman, Leica being too pricey.

I think you first need to decide which tray system you want to use.  These
days there's really only two choices, the circular Kodak trays and the
straight Europen DIN trays.  If you're in the USA, the Kodak trays are
probably best since they're easier to find.  The middle to upper end
Kodak projectors are supposed to be quite good, but I don't have any first
hand experience with them.  Stay away from any manufacturer's low end
projectors, they're usually designed with all plastic parts and can break
very easily.  I once owned a Leica P150 (actually a Kinderman) and it
was a nightmare.  All sorts of things kept breaking!  Buy a good projector
the first time around and you'll save money in the end.

> Lens Type?
> Fixed length or zoom?
> From my research zooms seem to be poorer performers.

Stick with a fixed focal length unless you really need a zoom.

> What focal length?
> I would be viewing images from about 12-18 feet away.

Something in the 90mm range would be appropriate.  According to my Leica
documentation, at 5m (~15 feet) the screen sizes needed are:

lens    screen size
----    -----------
50mm    3.30m
60mm    2.90m
90mm    1.85m
120mm   1.40m
150mm   1.10m

> Lens Manufacturer?
> My research seems to indicate that I should stay away from Kodak lenses.
> What about Buhl, Schnieder or Rollei?

Schnieder lenses are very good as are the Leica lenses.  I believe you can
now get an adapter for the Leica lenses to fit Kodak projectors.  The
best bang for the buck is probably the Leica 90mm Colorplan lens, it's
about $150US at B&H.  If you want to spend a bit more money, go for the
Leica 90mm Super-Colorplan lens.  The Super-Colorplan is an incredible lens,
it'll bring out details in your slides that you didn't know existed.
                                -mark