Re: Hardware fetish (long), was Re: [OM] Jane Bown

Subject: Re: Hardware fetish (long), was Re: [OM] Jane Bown
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:18:30 +0800
Hi Simon,

Simon Evans wrote:

> Consulting lens tests to identify the 'best' aperture to use on a lens is
> getting it the wrong way around. You select the aperture for the subject,
> for your choice of DoF or because of a lack of light. Take your lenses out
> and use them. If you want to compare two, make photographs of subjects that
> interest you, study them in blind tests and see which you prefer. Then
> decide which you will use. And why not try breaking the rules? Shoot wide
> open with a SC 50/1.4 just to see what happens.

Yes, I always break the rule, but not only 50/1.4 wide open, but
50/1.2, 55/1.2, 24/2, 21/2, 85/2, 90/2, 100/2 may also need to buy a
180/2 and try to shoot wide open... ;-) But I usually use them one or
two stop down at least, except the tele for portraits. But I won't try
to shoot landscape with lens wide open unless the shutter speed not
allowed.

You must understand your tool, knowing the best aperture is only one
of the many things you need to know, you need to know if the lens is
easy subject to flare, linear distortion, color saturation and
contrast etc... You cannot rely on a high distortion lens to make
architecture shoot. You cannot rely on a high contrast lens to shoot
under strong sun light and still want to get good shadow details. You
should avoid the sun shinning to Zuiko 18/3.5's front element at an
acute angle.

I just took a photo session with our board of directors during the
board meeting. With the "famous" Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 the wide
horizontal staircase where our dozen heads standing on just bend like
a boat. Damn, I should have listened to Gray's comment.

> I know, I'd love to use a 16mm fisheye, an 18mm and so on, but back in the
> real world I am most comfortable with my old, well-worn SC 35 f2.8. When I
> put that lens or my 50mm on an OM body I feel like I'm 'plugged in' in some
> way. Simplicity is the key IMHO.

I'm also very conformable with my 24/2 and 35-70/3.6, but I need other
lenses to capture something that I can't do just with this two lenses.
Like macros, stage shoot, some portrait that I can't come very close
to the models. I'm not an artist (although I'm trying to be :-)), I
just want to make sure my tools can tackle most of the situation I
could face.

If camera is the tool only for you to make some creative or artistic
works, a single lens may be ok. For anything that you lens does not
fit just skip it.

C.H.Ling