Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:16:43 -0800 (PST)
DORIS FANG wrote:
Subject:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Ray Moth wrote:

> I agree, there are many ways to reduce contrast. To me, the ND filter
> approach makes sense, because the less light there is the lower the
> contrast.

   William's influence is growing on me like Spanish Moss...think.
It only dampens all the brightness values by a factor of X. If you
adjust exposure for the filter factor, the relation of values between
light and shadow are unchanged.

> In a totally dark room, everything looks black, whatever its
> colour or shade.

  That's because what you have there is very even lighting. Introduce a
candle. Big contrast. Introduce a 4x8 foot lightbox, 1,600 w/s of
light,
low contrast.

> Another way to achieve low contrast could be to under-expose negative
> film, thereby depleting the emulsion. The overall brightness can be
> corrected in the printing stage but contrast will be lower.

  No. Over-expose and underdevelop. Time to buy the Ansel books.
(snip)
Thanks, Doris (and to others who corrected me). You're right, I wasn't
thinking. I now understand that an ND filter over the lens has no
effect on the light falling on, and reflected from, the subject; it has
an effect *only* on the amount of that light entering the camera. So,
assuming that the camera has sufficient sensitivity to the light being
reflected from the darkest areas of the subject after being "slowed
down" by the filter (which most OMs would, I guess), the contrast
should not be affected, only the exposure time. (Maybe if you could put
the ND filter between the light source zand the subject, it would work
- a bit like drawing the curtains?)

As to under or over-developing neg. film, I confess I've only tried
this by accident; however, the result was a washed out emulsion that
gave very low contrast (but it also gave drab colours). Guess I'll
stick to my Zuiko SC 50/1.4 and banana pudding in future!

Regards,

=====
Ray