Re: [OM] [OT] Condition descriptions

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Condition descriptions
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:21:35 -0000
Chris O'Neill wrote:

> ...Instead of concentrating on so-called rating systems, I focus my
> attention strictly on the description and the photos.  The more of those
> there are, the better I like it.  If either one is skimpy or missing, I
tend to
> be *very* cautious about plunking my money down...

Me too, mostly. When I was looking for a Kiev 4 on eBay, there was a very
nice looking photo of just the front of the camera but way down in the long
description of how well everything was working, were the words "it has no
back or take-up spool."

OTOH my small bid on a 35RC with a sparse description in German went
unopposed. If he'd accurately depicted or described it as having an old
furry battery in the compartment, the leatherette peeling off the back, bits
of missing black paint, general scruffiness, etc., even I probably wouldn't
have bid, but half an hour with 3-in-1 chrome cleaner and a black Sharpie
has transformed it into a good-looking user mini rangefinder camera and when
I find my hot glue gun I'll stick the leatherette back down.

Incidentally, it was received without a lens cap but with a 46 page booklet
entitled "Alles über die Olympus 35RC" all in German of course. It's not a
German translation of the English instruction book but a different, more
detailed, publication by Olympus, Hamburg. In pretty good condition, apart
from two binder holes punched through it, it's offered to any collector of
such things in exchange for a lens cap to fit the 35RC. A generic 43mm would
do.

Regards,
Keith Berry,
Birmingham, England