Re: [OM] [OT] PayPal goes international at last!

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] PayPal goes international at last!
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 16:46:05 -0500
Several weeks ago, I won an auction for a Russian item and paid via a Billpoint invoice. But the seller was in the US, and was acting as a broker for the REAL seller in Russia. It worked well though. The lens came to me about 10 days later direct from Russia with the Cyrillic writing all over it.

Skip

.At 09:59 AM 11/4/00 -0700, you wrote:
On 4 Nov 2000, at 13:38, Keith Berry wrote:

> Sadly though not many sellers will take Billpoint whereas almost anybody
> will accept BidPay even if their auction details didn't say so at the
> time.

Wanna hazard a guess why???

> I've just heard from a Russian seller that BidPay's MOs aren't acceptable
> to the financial institutions there simply because the space for the
> purchaser's details is always left blank.

I've only had one request to pay through BidPay and it worked out
wonderfully.  No problem with the MOs here in Canada.

> Here's a warning to eBay bidders
> outside the USA on Russian Federation auctions that say that credit card
> payments can be made through CCNow, the Russian retail orgnisation: Their
> website says that they can take payments ONLY from US buyers, a fact that
> the seller was unaware of until I mentioned it.

Thanks for that warning.  I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever bid on a
Russian Federation auction.

Regards,

Chris

---