Re: [OM] [OT] PayPal goes international at last!

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] PayPal goes international at last!
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 14:57:38 -0700
On 5 Nov 2000, at 22:03, Frank van Lindert wrote:

> I think you are right, Chris, in assuming that international sellers
> and buyers will face charges for currency conversion when they pay
> with their credit card or have money transferred to their card
> account.

That's what I was afraid of.  So, I'm gonna add a "handling fee" to any
auctions where the buyer wants to pay in US funds using Paypal.  In
fact, I think I'm going to charge a "handling fee" for *any* Paypal buyers.
 After all, why should *I* absorb the cost of Paypal when I *don't* absorb
the costs (if any) for buyers who pay using money orders and cashier
cheques???  Frankly, the only reason I'm signing up for Paypal is as a
convenience for the buyers...  *not* me!

> But IMO this charge can be avoided: when an international seller keeps the
> money after arriving on his PayPal account, rather then witdrawing it, and
> uses the balance for later payments with PayPal too, there will be no
> currency conversion needed and hence no charges for it.

Hmmm....  That's an interesting idea!  I wonder if you're correct???

> But when I buy a dollar money order or US cash, my
> bank charges me for the currency conversion as well. And then I will have
> to pay for registered mail too...

My bank doesn't charge me directly for money orders as I'm paying a
flat monthly fee.  Of course, I'm paying for it that way, but it doesn't cost
as much as if I paid for them one at a time.

> I did apply immediately for a PayPal account, and I am now waiting for an
> account statement of my credit card on which there will be two codes which
> I need to complete the registration. Quite annoying procedure, I must
> say... but it will be worth it.

I'm waiting to see the entries on my online Visa statement.  Then, I'll
call my bank's Visa customer service number and get it from them.  I
suppose Paypal does that for security reasons...  so that someone else
can't use your account, maybe....  so it's a bit annoying but
understandable.

Anyway, it's good that Paypal *finally* got off their fatt butts and made
themselves available to international customers.  I'll have to see if it was
worth the wait.

Regards,

Chris

---