[OM] Olympus at PhotoExpo East

Subject: [OM] Olympus at PhotoExpo East
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 16:56:48 -0500
Well,

I went to the Photo Expo today in NYC for a few hours, and it was pretty nice. Pretty much like the other years, with an increasing contingent of digital imaging and printing vendors.

The Olympus booth was abuzz with lots of life, 990f it around the digital cameras. The OM cabinet was pretty calm; as usual. No news on any line extensions. I've given up, but I still ask. (As a confession, I've begun to think about replacing my OM system with a Contax (N1 or manual focus) or Leica-R SLR system, but it will probably take me several years to get up the courage, rationale, or cash to make this happen.)

I saw the E-10. Very nice. But I thought the lens extensions that they put on that camera were ludicrous! There must have been 24" of lens elements out in front of the camera. It looked silly. Maybe this is the final step before Olympus delivers an interchangable lens digital camera?

I also looked at the 400mm Zuiko. Does anyone use this lens? I thought it was too long and unbalanced. They also had a 350/2.8, but I didn't ask to see it (been there, done that). No other interesting stuff other than the 24 shift.

Skip