[OM][OT] Response to 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies

Subject: [OM][OT] Response to 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies
From: "Kiker, James" <James.Kiker@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:36:13 -0700
Hi mark and all listmembers,

This is in response to my offering for sale some Olympus equipment.  I get
the digest version of the list, and I'm not sure what all has been discussed
up to this point, I've only seen -mark's letter, and Tom's response.  First,
I want  mark to know that I am not a professional photographer, nor a
photographic equipment broker.  I'm a java programmer who is in to
photography as a hobby.  It really angered me to see mark's post about my
sales offering.  I followed the guidelines generally agreed upon by the list
earlier this year.  I indicated that it was a [fs] listing in the title.  I
described the items as best I could, and clearly stated my asking price.
Mark, it really shouldn't matter if I paid $1 or $1000 for the stuff, or if
I were given the items as a gift, 20 years ago or yesterday. That is
nobody's business but mine.  How do you even know that the OM-2 is the same
camera that I recently bought, and not one I've had?  I currently have 5 OM
bodies, and it easily could've been another.  Mark, I bought a 100mm f/2.8
MC ex++ with orig. case for $10 in a pawn shop recently.  When, according to
you, should I conscionably sell it for fair market value?  Is there some
sort of scale or table I need to follow?  You said: "Personally, I feel this
is wrong."  How do you feel about tracking my eBay activities, then posting
them to a public mail list?  If you had concerns about my FS post, you
really should have voiced them to me in private.  Also, I did not buy the
items for the stated closing amount on the auction.  I worked out a mutually
agreeable deal with the seller for a higher amount, which you might have
known if you contacted me before making your post.  Another point:  I did
NOT make the purchase with the intention of profiting from it.  I intended
to keep the lens for my use.  I hadn't discussed it with my wife beforehand,
and after bringing the camera and lens home and engaging in some
"discussion", we decided it best not to keep it.  I offered the lens at
below eBay average sale price, which would allow me to profit (called
capitalism) and would allow for someone on the list to get a fair deal on a
rare lens.  I stand by my offering, and don't consider it to be out of line
with the list's consensus for such postings.  Mark, please think, and write
to me, before making these sorts of attacks in the future.  My apologies to
the list for this now off-topic thread.

James Kiker