Re: [OM] List Rules Suggestion (WAS: Response to 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] List Rules Suggestion (WAS: Response to 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:48:51 -0600
On 24 Oct 2000, at 21:31, Jim Sharp wrote:

> I'm pretty new here too and I've noticed the same thing. There seem to be
> some rules that the long time posters consistently abide by, but that us
> newbies always seem to miss...

I don't think it's an oldtimer/newbie thing.  In fact, unless I'm mistaken, I
think I saw two oldtimers post two different versions of the "unspoken
rule."

> I've tried to avoid the problem by posting less and reading more, but
> I'm still caught by surprise at times.

That's exactly what I'm afraid may be happening!  I think it's a *darned*
shame if *anyone* refrains from posting for fear of violating some
"unspoken" rule!

> I just vaguely remember the FS post that started this discussion. I
> would have never guessed it would bring any comment. It looked like a
> typical FS post to me.

To myself, too, until the "uniqueness" of the post was pointed out to
me.  (How's THAT for a politically correct adjective???)  <G>

But, my point is more generic than that.  Given some of the discussions
(off-topic and otherwise), and the comments (sometimes negative) made
posting (although some would say it's hardly noticeable <G>).  I may be
wrong, but I have this gut feeling that some folks (particularly newbies)
may be somewhat afraid of posting something for fear of getting
"slammed" for it.  That's NOT healthy for a mailing list!

> I'm also on a number of other email lists and as often as not, there is a
> FAQ available for new users.

A FAQ on the web site would be fine by me.  Newbies could be referred
to it as part of the message they receive when they subscribe.  Others
could politely point to it (and leave it at that) when someone
transgresses "The Rules."

> Some lists have *very* strict rules about everything, going as far as
> the list owner deciding when a thread is closed etc. Others are more
> like sitting in a bar with friends. Each list has it's own personality.

This one's closer to the "sitting in a bar with friends" end of the
spectrum, and I for one am hoping we can keep it that way!

> So while I'm not suggesting that anyone should have to spend valuable
> time generating and publishing list rules...

I would think that creating a FAQ (or some other mechanism) once is
far less time consuming than the collective wading through "don't do
that" or "should we allow that" or "I don't have a problem with that"
messages that occurs from time to time.  Heck, I'd volunteer to do the
work, 'cept I'm still not quite sure what "The Rules" are!  <G>

> I'm sure all of us will be more than happy to abide by the rules once we
> know them.

Agreed!

> Frankly, this list runs far better then many I've seen. My hat's off to the
> list owner and all the old-timers for that.

AMEN, Brother OM User!!!  <G>

> Jim - Just another new guy who happens to love his OM cameras.

Just don't get caught fondling them too lovingly...  I hear it's a sign of
perversion!  <G>

Regards,

Chris

---