Re: [OM] OM Cameras and Shutter rings.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Cameras and Shutter rings.
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:12:14 -0500
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 08:41:15AM -0400, John Hermanson wrote:
> The way I understand it, the original OM bodies were meant to be cradled
> with the left hand.  Right hand was responsible for winding and firing.
> Left hand controlled focus, f stop and shutter speed.   All this could be
> done without taking the camera away from your eye to see what you were
> setting. If the user was really familiar with his/her OM, it didn't matter
> that there was no vf ss / f stop information.

This is the way I was taught to hold a 35 SLR, as well: the left hand
supports the weight, with the fingers adjusting focus, aperture, and zoom,
and the right concentrates on squeezing the shutter and advancing the film.
With the elbows tucked into the body, the result is a solid platform that
minimizes camera shake as much as is possible while handholding, and is
reasonably comfortable to maintain over long periods of time. To me, the
OM-1's shutter speed control merely enhances the technique, since the right
hand need never move off of its position on the side of the body. (My
fingers aren't quite long enough to roll most top-mounted shutter speed
controls without coming off the side of the body.)