Re: [OM] OMs vs Nikon FM2

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs vs Nikon FM2
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:16:06 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> I have and use FM-2n's AND Olympus. The FM-2n (and before that I
> owned an FM also). It's the analog of the OM-1n. I find the viewfinder
> a little dimmer than the OM-1,2,3's, similar to the PC, IMO. It's a
> sturdy body, and handles fairly well. My main problem with the FM/FM2n's
> is that OM-2000 like shutter-lock/wind lever "feature". I manage to miss
> a lot of shots because I failed to notice the lever's "in". AAaack.
> Its shutter is loud and high-pitched. Obnoxious, to be precise.
> The MD-12 is much heavier than a Winder 2. What I DO like about the
> FM-2n is that sweet 1/250th synch speed. If you like fill-flash work,
> and I do, this is something OM's just don't do well. Buy both.
>
>                             *= Doris Fang =*

I have an older FM2 (not the "n" -- 1/200 flash sync, aluminum shutter
material) and I basically agree with Doris.  I also don't think you can call
the FM2 as much of a "system" camera as the OM-1 and the other single digit
OM's.  There aren't as many screens available for it and they have almost no
interchangability with other Nikon bodies, for example.

I might add that one can get three new OM2000's for the price of a new FM2N
AND it's easy to disable the shutter lock on the OM2000, plus it has spot
metering and 1/125 flash sync.  I've never needed more than 1/125
flash sync (and most of the time 1/60 works well enough for my purposes).

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA