Re: [OM] OMs vs Nikon FM2

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs vs Nikon FM2
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:22:53 GMT
Enrique, I faced the same dilemma last year when I decided to add another SLR system to my existing Canon gear (which I've used for many years).

Here was my logic: I "needed" a compact second system for a specific project; it would be used only for that project; it would always have only the film I'd decided upon for the project (whereas my Canons are likely to have any of a half-dozen film types I often use).

I also needed the features of my Canon FTbn - mirror lockup and depth of field preview. Since my FTbn had developed a slight shift in the pentaprism and "bounce" in the slow shutter speeds, I didn't want to subject it to daily carrying.

While the Nikon FM2N is a very compact SLR with all the features I wanted, the problem was the lenses: they're no smaller than my Canon lenses, a significant concern when I'm carrying two separate systems. Also, I simply didn't want to be bothered with learning the jargon and buzzwords of a whole new system - I still can't figure out the difference between "AI" "AIS" and "ABC". And I don't care!

The OM system and Zuiko lenses kept it simple and light. My OM-1 and the one or two lenses I stow away with my Canon gear is hardly noticeable.

But...if I were still a photojournalist starting over with an eye toward the future, I might consider Nikon over Canon simply because I prefer manual focus over AF, and Nikon hasn't completely abandoned manual focus. But knowing what I know now, I might also strongly consider using just Olympus gear and saving a lot of wear and tear on my back.

Anyway, you don't have to abandon one system to enjoy the benefits of another. Many of us listfolk use more than one system. Go ahead and grab an FM2 if you like it.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: "Enrique Cabrera" <qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:10:00 +0200

...Spanish auction sites are full of new FM2's for quite decent prices
('bout 380US$) while Olympus material is simply rare...I've been recommended by many the FM2 in endless
praise...