Re: [OM] Tight Bayonet Mount

Subject: Re: [OM] Tight Bayonet Mount
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:12:42 -0500
WC -

I would be concerned that your camera has suffered impact damage
(perhaps to a lens while attached, leaving no evidence on the body)
which has bent the mount.  If you can find an absolutely flat surface
and place the camera sans lens face down on it, then slowly rotate the
camera you may be able to see places where it's off the plane.  You can
also _carefully_ remove the mount and place it face down on a flat
surface and press down around the mount - if there's a low spot, the
other side of the mount will rock upwards.

If so, it needs to be replaced, and more than likely the body focus (the
distance from the mount to the film rails in back) of the camera
adjusted.

Other that that, if you look along the inside edge of an OM's mount,
you'll see three flat springs attached to the back of the mount.  One or
more of these flat springs may have been bent out to make a worn lens
attach more firmly.  The only easy way to bend them back against the
rear of the mount is to remove the mount and press down on them, or
remove them entirely and bend them flatter.