[OM] Freedom, politics (was RE: OMs and "Point and Shooters")

Subject: [OM] Freedom, politics (was RE: OMs and "Point and Shooters")
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:54:57 -0700
Rob Burns wrote:
        "We enjoy personal rights and freedom of
movement unsurpassed by any other nation in the world."

I'm wondering, Rob: have you ever worked and lived in a foreign country? Canada doesn't count. It does give one a different perspective.

This is simply untrue. You have been raised in a country which constantly
tells you this, and you believe it. Patently absurd.

It also depends on who you define as "we." In many places, you can get pulled over by the police for "DWB" (Driving While Black). That's "freedom of movement?"

Tell that to Wen Ho Lee, who was jailed for nine months for backing up data that was only classified AFTER the fact. If you're black or Chinese, or whom ever the "bad guy d'jour" is, be very careful about how you express your freedom. The US has a long history of oppressing different points of view, such as the Indian Wars of the mid-1800's, the WWII Japanese internment, and the McCarthy-era Communist witch hunts.

But more troublesome is the erosion of democracy by big corporations. Forget the government as an oppressor!

For example, the Constitution includes the right of freedom of association, to "peaceably assemble" for any lawful purpose, yet the big banks (through their lobby influence on Congress) have severely restricted that right by placing rather onerous restrictions on credit union membership. What's next, Safeway shutting down the local food co-operative? Please, take my gun, but give me my credit union! :-)

In the US, we only have the "freedom" of two parties with minor differences, both backed by corporations, who more often than not, give each side similar amounts of money. Helen Caldicot (from gun-hating Oz, co-incidentally) calls it "a one party system with two right wings." The US State department has yanked her visa. Ah yes, "freedom of movement" is only for those who agree with the party line!

For example, it's been recently revealed that the pharmaceutical industry has spent nearly as much "soft money" -- $330 million -- on the presidential race as either the Democrats or Republicans have! Noam Chomsky calls them a more effective "third party" than either the Reform or Green party, and calls this an "engineered concensus." And guess what the major candidates are both for? Government subsidized pharmaceuticals! I wonder why...

Regardless of whether you like or dislike the idea of government-subsidized pharmaceuticals, all freedom-loving people should be troubled about HOW this is happening. We are being told what to think, and we're largely going along with it.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>