Re: [OM] OM Zeiss

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Zeiss
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:33:58 +0200
Mike Cormier wrote hopefully a joke:

> As the name suggests, these lenses were produced at the now defunct Jena
> Works factory in (I believe Osaka) Japan for Carl Zeiss Optics Inc. back
> when the OM line had alot more consumer support than it does now.

Sorry but there was never ever an "Jena Works" in Osaka Japan of the
Carl Zeiss Optics Inc.

This lenses are no Zeiss, but el cheapo no name lenses. Probably an
sleazy dealer has found a way to benefit from dispute of the brand
names rights between Zeiss east (GDR) and Zeiss west (now the only
"Zeiss" brand).

> >Two or three of the OM lenses I've picked up at flea markets are branded
> >'Carl Zeiss - Jena', though they are marked as having been made in Japan,
> >under licence.

No licence, the only authentic Zeiss lenses "Made in Japan" are those
of the Contax brand made by Yashica-Kyoceria.

Regards

Richard