Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1850

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1850
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:26:38 GMT
Hyperbole aside - I find little difference between "blow(ing) their flesh apart" and execution by lethal injection; dead is dead, permanent, sometimes misapplied, always tragic and unfortunately too-often unavoidable - and to restate my earlier reply in this thread, the right to use of deadly force in some regions to protect personal property descends from conditions unique to hostile environments such as those encountered in the Old West. Theft of a horse, for example, could be a death sentence for the victim who might be many miles or days from water in a harsh land.

While those conditions seldom exist now, many of us eke out an existence a single paycheck away from being out on the street. In the event of a loss of one's job, the additional loss of a TV, stereo or other property - which could be sold to pay rent or food for one's dependents - can be similarly life threatening.

This debate also reveals the considerable differences of opinions regarding property rights (among others). Fortunately we live in a nation where you are free to relinquish your personal property without a struggle, whereas I am free to protect mine.

Lex
===

From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:53:22 -0400

My God!! To prevent them from FLEEING with your property you can blow their flesh apart
with a gun & end their entire life LEGALLY!

thats rediculous.