Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1850

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1850
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:55:44 -0500
On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 08:46:54AM -0600, Wm Biesele wrote:
> It's not just a pacifist that should do that, it's the law. The use of deadly
> force
> is covered under some very specific laws and precedents none of which
> allow deadly force to protect personal property. If you feel your own life
> is threatened fire away, if it's just your property shoot someone and you'll
> probably end up doing time. Remember convicted felons can not own firearms.
> And OM's wouldn't last long in prison.

This varies from state to state. Texas law allows the use of deadly force to
prevent the imminent commission of murder, sexual assault, aggravated
kidnapping, robbery, arson, burglary, theft during the nighttime, or
criminal mischief during the nighttime, or to prevent someone who is fleeing
immediately after the commission of burglary, robbery, or theft during the
nighttime from escaping with the property. See the Texas DPS web site, at
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/txchlaws.htm ,
for the laws governing carrying a concealed handgun and the use of deadly
force in Texas.

(My carry weapon is a Glock 27.)

(I've been biting my tongue during this discussion, on which I hold very,
very strong feelings, but I couldn't let William's comments pass
unchallenged. CHECK THE LAW IN THE JURISDICTION WHERE YOU LIVE BEFORE DOING
ANYTHING!)