Re: [OM] Back to Olympus Content

Subject: Re: [OM] Back to Olympus Content
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:13:01 GMT
Nope. A cotton swab is likely to damage the blades or, at the least, leave tiny threads which will cause further problems. Flush the blades with a gentle stream of Ronson lighter fluid or similar clean-evaporating solvent. (Naturally, in open air and away from ignition sources.) No blasts of solvent from aerosol cans.

The diaphragm should be relubricated to prevent long term wear, but this is the tricky part. Very few commonly available lubricants are suitable. Most pro camera/lens repairmen are probably still using the container of whale oil they inherited from their predecessors. I've used dry moly powder (similar to graphite powder with far better lubricity). It's available from Beeman Precision Airguns and other sources. Work it into the metal by opening and shutting the diaphragm repeatedly. Gently blow out the excess. Once worked into the tiny pores of metal moly can only be dislodged with certain solvents, so it's a good long-term lube for certain purposes.

Lubing the focus/zoom helix or bearing surfaces is a whole 'nuther ball of grease.

Lex
===