Re: [OM] Back to Olympus Content

Subject: Re: [OM] Back to Olympus Content
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:59:18 GMT
Don't bother unless you plan to make lens repair a sideline business. It's a PITA and this lens (the Zuiko 50/1.8) is commonly available for $20-$30.

Instead, save it for viewing slides. It makes an excellent loupe, altho' it is necessary to move it or the slide around a bit to view the entire frame.

By pure serendipity, I discovered that a UV filter plus a generic collapsible rubber lens hood provides the perfect slide-to-lens distance for sharp focus, with the lens hood collapsed. And you can snug the corners of the mounted slides into the lens hood for easier viewing.

Generic advice, not Zuiko-specific: If you decide to disassemble the lens and don't want to buy special tools, look for small slots, notches and holes where makeshift tools such as small screwdrivers or pin punches can be inserted. Use these to loosen the threaded retaining rings that hold the elements in place. Most lenses can be disassembled down to the diaphragm without special tools. It's easier to leave the diaphragm in place and flush it clean with a solvent.

Personally, tho', I can no longer think of many lenses I'd bother with myself. If it's worth salvaging, it's worth doing right - which means sending to an expert like John Hermanson. The last exception for me is a an old Canon FD breechlock lens which has a switch on the rear which facilitates manual diaphragm operation with the lens mounted on a bellows, manual extension tube or reversing ring. The lens isn't commonly available anymore, takes great pictures and it wouldn't be cost effective to have someone else repair. So I'm doing this one myself. But never again.

Lex
===