Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:21:10 -0700
In a message dated 8/29/2000 Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< At 08:27 PM 8/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>We've heard that answer before. I think it is just their standard 'corporate
>speak'. It's clearly a load of ****.  If Nikon can magically make it work
>with the D1 and Canon can make it work with the D30, then either the people
>at Olympus are stupid (don't get me started), or think we're naive (don't
>get me started there either).
>
>Tom

I am starting to think it might be true. It seems too idiotic to have
been
made up. >>

I'm of the belief that it probably is true in theory but in reality I
wonder just how much effect it really has. Yes, this is the same canned
company line we keep hearing from Olympus. Yes, we know that Canon and
Nikon do offer professional digital bodies that use exising lenses (AF
keep in mind).

Then again, if this ES10 really has a range equivalent to 35mm
~45-~450mm with image stabilization and they offer a couple loss-less LD
glass adapter lenses ala IS series I wouldn't complain too much. That
little ES-10 looks a lot nicer to shoot with than a D1, that's for sure.
If results are comparable then Olympus may have a winner.

There are a few things yet to get sorted out in the digicam world.
Imagers need to get bigger and faster (give me more pixels and more
speed) and storage needs to get standardized somewhat. I'm not convinced
the IBM mini drive is the answer either that so many like to tout...the
thought of a hard disc drive (no matter how small) in a rugged and harsh
environment does not sound good to me. The upside to that little drive
is capacity and speed.

Reality is we're probably never going to see an OM lens compatible
digicam from Olympus. This does not mean we won't see some might cool
stuff come from them though... The IS-3 is pretty darned good. I'm still
looking forwards to the day when I can be shooting both digital and film
while still using Olympus gear (and some Tamron glass...).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com