[OM] DX coding

Subject: [OM] DX coding
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:01:01 +0100
Paul Farrar recently (25th August) gave an explanation of squares 1-6 of the
DX code on the top line of the squares on a film cartridge.  Out of
interest, I was looking at this and at samples of unused 200 and 400 ASA
Kodak films in the house, and of course the latter are coded as described.
However my wife pointed out that the second row of squares was not the same
for ASA 400 Royal Gold and ASA 400 Ultra film - what function do these
squares have, is it something to do with film processing or are they used in
the manufacturing process?
Brian Gray